New templates for exported Dripbook Sites. UPDATE.
Posted on 10th February 2009 by Alex Wright

Okay. So you all picked your choices of which new templates we should add to our ever-popular exported Dripbook Sites feature.

We're going to be producing designs 2, 4, and 5. We'll keep the original three, bringing the total to six.

So, as soon as we're done with producing these three new templates, you'll be able to export your portfolios on Dripbook and create a custom Web site using these three new templates. You'll be able to customize many aspects of the templates - colors, styles, etc.

If you are interested in testing out early versions of the new templates, please email us. We're closing comments on the blog post because there are already so many. So, if you're interested in testing one or more of the three new templates, email us and tell us which templates (use the concept numbers listed below) you're interested in testing. Thanks.

Thanks to John and Kingsley at Freshthrills for the sick design work, and to Ninelle, Nicole and Nicoline who's work was used as examples.

For more information on what Dripbook Sites is and what all this is about, head here.

Here are the finalist designs we'll be producing:

CONCEPT #2:

The idea behind this concept is to minimize the elements for the navigation, leaving the photography to be by itself. The navigation has been place within a compact element represented by a next and previous arrow and a thumbnails icon.

When the user clicks on the thumbnail icon the menu expands to view the genres/books and thumbnails for each book. The collapsed version of the navigation will follow the users mouse around for easy access to the menu.

CONCEPT #4:

This concept uses a very bold navigation, in both the top nav elements and the gallery arrows. It’s an evenly spaced layout, with room for the thumbnails below the viewed photo at all times. Thumbnail strip contains all the photos within a book and will be mouse gesture activated. Moving the mouse to the right, thumbnails move to the left and vice versa. Genres are list at the top, hovering over them reveal books within each genre.

CONCEPT #5:

Concept 5 is meant to function and feel like a film reel. It gives the user a clear idea of what photo is selected, but also shows previous and next photos at 25% opacity.

The navigation first shows all genres, once a genre is selected by the user the first tier of navigation moves up and reduces its opacity to make room for the second tier.

The navigation of photos would be a grab and scroll, pulling the reel left and right. It would also have an added hover and scroll functionality.

Comments

av
From: Elizabeth Gerbino , January 15th, 2009 : 03:11p.m. UTC
I like #1, #3, and #4. But I really LOVE #4. Awesome work on all of them, but those are my favs :)
From: Kaspian Shore , January 15th, 2009 : 03:12p.m. UTC
I think #1, 2 and 5 look fantastic. Good work!
From: Marco Wagner , January 15th, 2009 : 03:13p.m. UTC
I love concept 1, 2 and 4. But all concepts are very stylish!
From: Cesar Cuevas , January 15th, 2009 : 03:16p.m. UTC
I like 2,4 and 5
From: Sunay Tamashev , January 15th, 2009 : 03:21p.m. UTC
You guys are the best. Great work on all the templates :) I like # 5 the most though, I think it is very nice, clean and simplified. The n I like #4. So my vote is. #5 #4 Can't wait to see them live.
From: Madame Peripetie , January 15th, 2009 : 03:25p.m. UTC
love 1, 2&5 keep rocking guys!!!
From: Elle German , January 15th, 2009 : 03:31p.m. UTC
love 1, 2,and 4
From: MARAZ , January 15th, 2009 : 03:35p.m. UTC
1-4-5 These feature the work in a a bigger scale....I want my work to be seen as big as possible. Love the colors and concepts, keep em' comin' guys and girls!!!!! But 6 is CUTE, just would like to seee the desired work to be shown bigger ~M~
From: Kahen Grace , January 15th, 2009 : 03:38p.m. UTC
definitely 4 and 5!!
From: Jude Ferrara , January 15th, 2009 : 04:05p.m. UTC
My vote is for concepts #3, #4 and #5
From: Charles Olsen , January 15th, 2009 : 04:14p.m. UTC
i like 1 for the vertical presentation. 4 is excellent and i see it working well with paintings too. 5 i like too especially for photography. out of 3 and 6 i'd go for 3 IF the sliding panel was from the left or the top... if only three: 3,4,5.
From: Vince Fraser , January 15th, 2009 : 04:19p.m. UTC
5 and 2 are pretty tight!!!!!
From: Metrik , January 15th, 2009 : 04:20p.m. UTC
2, 3
From: Leslie Andrews , January 15th, 2009 : 04:31p.m. UTC
I love 1&5 very nice!~
From: CHAOS MAGAZINE , January 15th, 2009 : 04:37p.m. UTC
Love 4 and 5 definitely. 4 is my # one pick, it is bold and professional ... VERY CLEAN.
From: Allie Bentley , January 15th, 2009 : 05:11p.m. UTC
I think #4 is the most beautiful and clearly presented. It would be easy to navigate and is interesting. #3 is the second best for also being very easy to navigate and appealing to look at. Muah!
From: CANCEL_jenmyles , January 15th, 2009 : 05:17p.m. UTC
#4 is the Best , #5 and then # 2!! Awesome work Alex, love the new designs xx
From: Ope' M. , January 15th, 2009 : 05:19p.m. UTC
Love 4,1 and 6
From: Dyana Aives , January 15th, 2009 : 05:32p.m. UTC
This was a difficult decision since they were all amazing, but if i had to pick i would say #1 , 3 and 5
From: Chrissy Lloyd , January 15th, 2009 : 05:54p.m. UTC
I would say #2, 3, and 4. 4 being my favorite..After working at a major fashion magazine for 5 years, I know editors can't stand website styles like #6, and to some extent sites like #5. Editors like to see thumbnails so they can quickly find photos that represent the type of story they are working on. Simple, clear, quick and concise is the key. Let the work speak for itself.
From: Nicoline Patricia Malina , January 15th, 2009 : 06:01p.m. UTC
4 & 5, definitely
From: Ryan Aylsworth , January 15th, 2009 : 06:27p.m. UTC
5, 4, and 2
From: Dana Zheng , January 15th, 2009 : 06:45p.m. UTC
these are great! terrific improvements on navigation. i think the best one is #5, elegant and best sizing of individual works. thanks, can't wait for the update!
From: Ian David Marsden , January 15th, 2009 : 06:49p.m. UTC
3 is my favorite, 2 and 4 would be my next choices. Looking very good!
From: Timothy Murray , January 15th, 2009 : 07:10p.m. UTC
#1 seems cool but why up and down and not side to side?. Plus the arrows looks weird hanging off the side for some reason. #2 looks awesome. I just wish the picture window was bigger and I'm worried that if people don't get how to navigate immediately, they'll move on. #3 looks really great but I'm worried about people knowing how to pull up the navigation because it's so new. #4 looks super solid but the big blocky arrows and menu bar are really off putting. Something more subtile please. #5 looks ok. I really don't like the grab and scroll method or the hover method. So not a big fan of #5. #6 is too cutesy. Chicks might dig it though. For me #2 (if it functions well) , #1 with side to side, #4 with more subtile design.
From: Daleesa Weary , January 15th, 2009 : 07:12p.m. UTC
1, 4 & 5 are my vote. Great job guys!!
From: Zuzanna Audette , January 16th, 2009 : 12:20a.m. UTC
4, 5, and 3 in that order! Very nice!
From: J. Carreon , January 16th, 2009 : 12:41a.m. UTC
CONCEPT 1 - This is a beautiful concept . . . and (thinking globally) great for promoting your work in countries such as China where the reading is usually up-down. CONCEPT 2 - I LOVE this concept. CAVEAT: the trick is to make the floating navigation cluster steady and easy to use and NOT "twitchy". SUGGESTION: why not make the space for the images themselves even BIGGER now that the navigation is free-floating??? CONCEPT 3 - Beautiful idea - BUT AGAIN: why not make the images even bigger??? CONCEPT 4 - Not really liking this one, all the clutter really detracts from the images . . . it would be so much better if the navigation buttons where somewhat smaller. CONCEPT 5 - BEAUTIFUL!!! Yes - this should be made one of the choices!!! CONCEPT 6 - I think this should be made available to ALL exported portfolios: this is very handy for setting up a CLIENT VIEWING gallery so they can look at proofs, edit and download. This is also perfect for those non-story genre's such as Graphic Design, Sculpture, Illustration, etc. etc. PROPOSAL FOR CONCEPT 7 - Why not take Concept 2 even further and move all navigation, notation, logo, etc. to the corners and edges of the screen to allow the images to be displayed at their BIGGEST? This IS why you suggest that we upload images with a minimum of 1500 pixels on the smallest dimension, is it not?
From: Arturo Fernandez , January 16th, 2009 : 02:31a.m. UTC
While I think all 6 serve a purpose, I really like 1, 2, 4.
From: Yiorgos Yiacos , January 16th, 2009 : 09:52a.m. UTC
1,2 & 5
From: Pamela Tenorio , January 17th, 2009 : 12:34a.m. UTC
#3, #4, and #5 are pretty awesome!
From: Joanna Banach , January 17th, 2009 : 01:36a.m. UTC
I like 4 and 5 the most, but 5 wins-cool concept, I'm up 4 it I think, this external thing..
From: 127 , January 17th, 2009 : 07:01a.m. UTC
love #5 and than #4
From: JAY carreon , January 17th, 2009 : 09:45p.m. UTC
I am liking CONCEPT #2 more and more . . . but is there a way to push the logo and image info into the corners so that "portrait" images reach the top & bottom and "landscape" images reach the sides of the page??? . . . as for the "navigation cluster" - I'd like to keep the "thumbnail button" but modify the arrow buttons to "VCR controls" - for example, clicking on ">l" jumps you over to the next image, clicking on ">" scrolls you gently so that the current and the next image are displayed side by side and clicking on ">>" causes continuous scrolling (slideshow) until a "stop" button is clicked. As for the current "infinity scroll" option in exported websites, I would like to see the scroll bar, logo's, image info, gallery titles, menu's, etc. pushed further to the edges of the page as possible so that the images can be displayed even bigger. I would like the gallery images to be displayed to be at least the same size as the "key image" are currently - if not larger. Size does matter!
From: Diana Manzanares , January 18th, 2009 : 10:05p.m. UTC
Wow! hard to choose from but I love 2,3, 5! :-)
From: Paul Smith , January 19th, 2009 : 03:25a.m. UTC
1, 4 , 5. Get my vote ...
From: Konrad Jakubowski , January 22nd, 2009 : 05:20a.m. UTC
5 and 2
From: Brent Lavett , February 11th, 2009 : 06:32p.m. UTC
There all great Alex...
av
From: Christine arzel arzel Arzel Arzel ar , February 12th, 2009 : 11:48a.m. UTC
4 is my favorite because it's more easy to read the pictures with this presentation. Essential. But a little similar to the actual proposition ? 2 is nice and funny, creative concept, more different from the actual proposition. Good work.
From: Mario Sughi , February 17th, 2009 : 11:17a.m. UTC
As the websites (their graphics layouts design presentation etc) you can create using Dripbook Templates are really excellent (present and past), my major problem of using them is that they do not offer you any level of interaction (shop store, forms, etc) with one's website visitors. In a way they replicate only our books we have on dripbook.com . I do not want to be negative but I feel that an effort should be done on this direction since a website ourdays need to be interactive.
From: Alex Wright , March 13th, 2009 : 04:30p.m. UTC
Hey so we're producing #2, #4, and #5. I'm closing this post to comments because there are so many comments (thanks) and now it's time to move on to development and testing.
If you're interested in helping us test these new templates, please email us and let us know which templates you're interested in helping us test. Thanks.

Please Login to Post Comments.